N O T E S
chapter 2. history of the academic medical center
1. Abraham Flexner, Medical Education in the United States and Canada (New York:
Carnegie Foundation, 1910).
2. Vannevar Bush, Science: The Endless Frontier (Washington, DC: U.S. Government
Printing Office, 1945).
3. aamc Data Book: Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals by the Numbers (Washington,
DC: aamc, 2014).
chapter 3. evolution of the
duke university medical center
1. James B. Duke, The Duke Endowment Indenture of Trust, 1924, http://
chapter 10. duke clinical research institute
1. James B. Wyngaarden, “The Clinical Investigator as an Endangered Species,” New
England Journal of Medicine 301 (1979): 1254–59.
2. Ralph Snyderman, “The Clinical Researcher: An ‘Emerging’ Species,” jama 291
chapter 11. duke university health system
1. Spencie Love, One Blood: The Death and Resurrection of Charles R. Drew (Chapel Hill:
University of North Carolina Press, 1996).