1. Adam is a pseudonym. Pseudonyms are used in this book for some people, to pro-
tect their privacy.
2. General Conference is the legislative body of The United Methodist Church. It
meets every four years.
1. Thomas A. Dooley’s books are Deliver Us from Evil: The Story of Vietnam’s Flight to
Freedom (New York: Farrar, Straus and Cudahy, 1956); The Edge of Tomorrow (New
York: New American Library, 1958); and The Night They Burned the Mountain (New
York: Farrar, Straus and Cudahy, 1960).
2. Hogan and Hudson, Completely Queer, 194.
3. The Gospel According to Matthew 6:25–34.
4. Frederick Herzog, “The Political Gospel,” Christian Century, November 1, 1970,
5. Herzog, Justice Church, 94.
6. The annual conference is the basic organizational unit of The United Methodist
Church, often named for the geographical region or state in which it is located.
United Methodist clergy have their membership in annual conferences.
1. Buttrick, The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (IDB). This multivolume reference
work is highly regarded for its scholarship and is generally associated with liberal
Protestant theology. Contributors to the reference work include many of the most
eminent biblical scholars of the 1940s and 1950s.
2. IDB, volume 4, 397.
3. Genesis 19:1–29; Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13; Romans 1:27; I Corinthians 6:9; I
Timothy 1:8–11; and Jude 7.