cia crest Central Intelligence Agency project fi le
dci Director of Central Intelligence, Central Intelligence Agency
dde Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kans.
fo Foreign and Commonwealth Offi ce, London
frus Foreign Relations of the United States, University of Wisconsin Digital
Collections Center, Madison, Wis.
jfd Papers of John Foster Dulles, Mudd Library, Prince ton University
jfk John F. Kennedy Library, Boston
nara National Archives, College Park, Md.
nsc Rec ords of the National Security Council, National Archives, College
oss Offi ce of Strategic Ser vices Rec ords, National Archives, College Park, Md.
rl Franklin D. Roo se velt Presidential Library and Museum, Hyde Park, N.Y.
Rockhill Papers of William W. Rockhill, Houghton Library, Harvard University
tr papers Th eodore Roo se velt Papers, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
usgpo United States Government Printing Offi ce, Washington, D.C.
usun United States delegation to the un, New York
1. Washington Discovers the Hidden Land
1. Letter from W. W. Rockhill, National Archives, American Legation, Peking, June 30,
2. tr papers, series 1, reel 83.
4. Memo, April 29, 1904, Rockhill papers, 46m- 386.
5. tr papers, series 2, reel 350, vol. 83, p. 213.
6. His skepticism about the Dalai Lama’s appreciation for things outside his ken might
have been encouraged by the report in the London Times of June 30, 1908, that the
Dalai Lama and his entourage were preserving as a devotional work an illustrated
book on German arsenals that the Kaiser had sent him as a gift .
7. tr papers, series 1, reel 84.