• U.S. copyright code revised.
• Magnetic tape ﬁrst manufactured in Germany.
• 3m begins experimenting with magnetic tape in United
• German magnetic tape recorders captured by U.S. military.
• Television sets on sale in United States.
• John T. Mullin demonstrates magnetic tape to Institute of
• Bing Crosby begins prerecording his radio programs on
• Kinescopes introduced.
• Audio recording emerges as an ofﬁce technology and as an
• rca and Ampex begin developing videotape.
• Ampex demonstrates 2-inch Quadruplex video tape recorder.
• Philips audiocassette format introduced (dates vary by
• 8-track tapes introduced.
• First copyright bill including fair-use provision introduced to
• Sony develops 1/2-inch helical scan videotape.